Wednesday, January 9, 2008

VII

Critic
     Why would I examine the world as it is? It suffices for me to know how it should be.

Soothsayer in February
     We must prepare for a time of winter.

Critical Toad
     I say that the snakes really shouldn't be so disproportionately long.

Flagpole
     This is the highest level of evolution: no roots, no branches, no leaves.

Civilized Rat
     Enough about the villages. They don't even have sewers.

Turtle
     Why don't I hop around like a frog? Out of habit.

Goat on a Leash
     How small the world is!

Fly in the Window
     I know where the limits of reality are.

Mirror
     Man is just a reflection of me.

Broken Mug
     The world is meaningless. Vanity of vanities.

Mayfly
     History? What does that mean?

Spider in the Web
     The waiting is such a drag too.

Tadpole in a Flood
     Hooray, we tadpoles have overrun the world!

Dead Branch
     I've finally done something for myself.

Mud
     We're nicely drenched here, my clouds!

Generation
     Room for us young people! For how long? At least fifty years!

Tree in the City
     I am the vanguard. I am the first of all to turn rusty and flake off.

Pupa
     Hear me, now begins the Age of Pupae!

Leader
     Everyone behind me, and I shall lead you from November into December.

Sheep
     Let them kill me so long as they lead me there.

Slave
     I could do something too, if only someone ordered me to.

Brown Ant
     Freedom for the ants! The whole world for the ants! Of course, so long as they're not black ants.

Wolf
     Peace is when no one is hunting us wolves.

Dictator
     I have given my nation faith. Faith in my flag.

Hyena
     Bah! We lions have no sentimentality.

LN, 5 November 1933

No comments: