Tuesday, January 8, 2008

VI

Enemy
     (Cat): My greatest enemy is the dog.
     (Dog): Mine too.

Predators' Morals
     There are two kinds of creatures: enemies and competitors.

Lion School
     When you go out to eat, might makes right, it is said--it's a question of lionly pride.

Ant
     I'm not waging war. The anthill wages war.

Viper
     Me? I only want my peace and quiet.

Painted Lady
     The nerve! What that mere cabbage white gets away with!

Swift
     Those stinking, miserable, worthless swallows!

Ox
     I always say, what on earth are the deer good for?

Poles in the Field
     Look at those stupid trees: all those branches and no order.

Stake
     Quiet, poles! I am fence material.

Broken Pot in the Flowerbed
     Do I really have to be with all this dirty mud? Young man, I'm too good for that.

Cornerstone
     The sun? What a slacker! Always gadding about aimlessly...no firm position at all.

Stink Bug
     Everyone has their opinion of the world. I think it reeks.

Brick
     I know how things should look best of all. Orthogonal.

Cowpat
     Plop! So, now I have unfolded my personality.

Gutter
     I know I'm no great river. But what inner nature I have!

Mirror
     I have it. The world is merely my reflection. There is nothing outside of me.

Clock
     I don't run poorly--I run ahead. I indicate the future.

The Doomsaying Fly
     The days are getting shorter. Woe is me, the world is ending!

A Sparrow and the World Situation
     Not a horse dropping to be seen...What is the world coming to?

Trash Heap
     Look at me grow! This is the vigor of life, is it not?

Birth of a Mayfly
     Look, look, I have created life!

Boulder
     It's spring? Eh, it'll pass. I've seen lots of springs and none of them were any good.

Today
     Even I will be the hallowed past someday.

LN 24 June, 1933

No comments: